Sunday, January 25, 2009

January 25 :: Caleta de Campos, Mexico

January 25 :: Caleta de Campos, Mexico :: 140 km / 2236km total

Out before first light, but it was so warm that Tim was sweating up the first climb - before sunrise. Back onto the main coastal road, I was not feeling my usual self - the "beyond-the-envelope" ride I put in 2 days ago will take beyond this trip to recover from. Legs heavy, ankle sore and taped up, minor pains, it just wasn't happening. 50km in I decided to play my trump card, the one I'd been holding back ever since we started this trip, 2000km ago.

"Tim, take the lead!"

I slipped in behind Tim and drafted closely, tightly, now moving forward so much more easily along the flattish terrain. Not more than a few km along we met up with 4 local cyclists (its Sunday, after all) and the 6 of us rode along for about 30km, packriding. It was great! Eventually we had to part ways, and again I hung onto Tim's rear wheel. He was hammering! I couldn't believe how fast he was pushing us along. But the temperature kept rising, and then we slammed into some coastal hills, 30km from the finish. Heat and hills are not Tim's favourite, especially in tandem with each other, so the Anderson Express Train was derailed. I took the lead back over, urging us on. The temperature on my saddlebag thermometer (shaded side) read 35C. Slowly, we rolled into Caleta de Campos. After the usual post-ride shower we went to a neighbouring beach, had lunch, and are preparing for tomorrow.

No comments: