Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26 :: Playa Maruata, Mexico

January 26 :: Playa Maruata, Mexico :: 100 km / 2336km total

Tim has decided to scoot ahead up the coast to meet up with his mom in Manzanillo and avoid the heat and hills in this next section. Not a bad option since she is staying at a 5-star resort... even if he gets a taste of it it'll be nicer than the life we've been living! I waited with him for the bus at Caleta de Campos, then peddled Northwards alone. It'll be just me on the bike for 3 days.

Ankle taped up again, I rode into the hills. Today's entire 100km was a rollercoaster of ups and downs, from high tableland to river valley, following the rocky coastline Northwards. As per usual, the heat began to build and at times I was riding on the wrong side of the road to scavenge some shade. Traffic is incredibly light, and I almost have the road to myself... both sides. Just before things got too unbearable I rolled into Maruata, today's target. Accomodation here is known to be spotty, and I paid a very overpriced $20 for a room... makes me think of some places I've stayed in Africa, India, etc. Ah well. A great shrimp meal put a big smile on my face... now off to stretch, ice down my ankle, and prepare for tomorrow.

(Internet too slow here to upload pictures)

2 comments:

Patriarch said...

What about the cooling breeze coming off the ocean?

You look to be about 170km from Manzanillo - but the last 100km is pretty flat. After El Ojo de Agua you will be under 50m for the rest of the way.

Graham Durrant said...

The Sun overwhelms any breeze. The heat is quite brutal at times. Sure, flat to Manzanillo... but then the hills come again between there and Puerto Vallarta!